The scootersharing market is undergoing rapid development and finds itself still in a state of transition. This report aims to put together publicly available facts, figures and statistics to describe the status quo of the scootersharing market in the year 2018.
This report is referring to classic scooters – mopeds and vespa-like vehicles. It does not analyze the current dynamic development in the kick scooter market.
This analysis was conducted by the Berlin-based Innovation Centre for Mobility and Societal Change (InnoZ). InnoZ is closely evaluating old and new mobility markets in the face of a recent change process affecting the mobility sector. The report reaches out to shared mobility operators, scientists, mobility planners and consultants, municipalities, press and individuals.
The author focused on scootersharing for several years now and seeks to facilitate rapid access to the market with this report. To our knowledge, the report is the #1 access to the scootersharing market as of 2018.
Some key findings at a glance:
- The overall growth record continued in 2018. There are approx. 25,000 shared scooters globally by now (17,000 more than 2017).
- Still a strong focus on Europe. US-American market is growing fast.
- Almost all provided scooters are electric.
- Free-floating is the standard operational system.
- We estimate 1.8 mio. customers globally.
- With a typical 4-5 km length and 15-20 min duration of rides, services are generally used for quick inner-urban trips.
- Finally, the market is gaining more and more attention but still remains a sparsely researched field. More research is needed.
You want to keep track of the emerging scootersharing market? Check out the up-to-date global scootersharing map at http://scooter.innovationslandkarte.de/en
Please find the download link of the study on the right or here.