The scootersharing market is currently undergoing rapid development and finds itself in a state of transition. This report aims to put together publicly available facts, figures and statistics as well as apply new methods to describe the status quo of the scootersharing market in the year 2017.
This analysis was conducted by the Berlin-based Innovation Centre for Mobility and Societal Change (InnoZ). InnoZ is closely evaluating old and new mobility markets in the face of a recent change process affecting the mobility sector. The report reaches out to shared mobility operators, scientists, mobility planners and consultants, municipalities, press and interested individuals.
The authors Enrico Howe and Benno Bock focused on scootersharing for several years now and seek to facilitate rapid access to the market with this report. To our knowledge, the report is the #1 access to the scootersharing market as of 2017.
Some key findings at a glance:
- Market development since 2015 has been very dynamic. A further increase in activities is predicted.
- Strong focus on Europe. Global distribution is predicted to stay this way at least for 2018 and 2019.
- There is a dominance of electric scooters, having a share of 95 % of the global fleet.
- Free-floating is the preferred operational system.
- We have a conservative estimate of at least 350k current customers worldwide.
- With a typical 2.8 km and 34 min duration, services are generally used for quick inner-urban trips.
- In our lower estimate, scooter rental rates are between 3 and 4 rentals per vehicle and day.
- Weekly distribution shows how scootersharing is well adopted for commuter trips.
- The market is gaining more and more attention but remains a sparsely researched field. More research is needed.
You want to keep track of the emerging scootersharing market?
- Check out the up-to-date global scootersharing map at http://scooter.innovationslandkarte.de/en Since the release of this tool in June 2017, we updated quite some functions, such as new layers (inactive and proposed systems) and new city scheme information such as the scooter manufacturer. Many new entries have been added since.
- Sign up for our scootersharing newsletter: Write a short mail with the subject "scootersharing newsletter“ to enrico.howe [at] innoz.de (subject: scootersharing%20newsletter, body: Please%20send%20me%20the%20InnoZ%20scootersharing%20newsletter%20in%20future.)
- Check out or mobility tracking tool for smartphones at https://www.modalyzer.com/en
- You want to work with us? We offer data driven mobility consulting with state-of-the-art methods. Check out: https://consulting.innoz.de/en or contact enrico.howe [at] innoz.de
Please find the download link of the 2017 study on the right or here.
Update Nov 2018: Please find the new 2018 report here.